Day 96 Vermont Fog

Today we hiked 26.7 miles and made it to camp before 7PM. 


I slept horribly last night. I really have no idea why, but I would just wake up every 20 minutes and be awake for an hour or so. Probably in total I got less than 2 hours of sleep. Oh well. 


We woke up around 6 and didn’t have many views on top of our mountain. We embarked into a thick fog at 7:30. 



We mainly just walked through thick green forests for most of the day. If I had to pick a section of VT to have fog for, this section would have been it. We really didn’t miss a ton of views or anything. I’m very grateful that we had such good weather for the beautiful trail behind us. 


We missed a couple small views today, like a lake and an overlook through the trees. 




We had a boardwalk section that kept us out of the mud, then hiked up Baker Peak. The summit would have had nice views but we just had fog and high winds. We didn’t hang out for very long.




We had hiked around 11 miles by noon and stopped for lunch at a shelter. We took our time with lunch. I was so tired that I fell asleep while laying down on the wooden planking of the shelter, wrapped in my wet poncho like a blanket. It sounds miserable but it was actually really nice. I took a 20 minute nap while Spencer finished up lunch and stopped by the privy. 


The fog mostly cleared after lunch. We crossed a suspension bridge over a beautiful river and walked past a mountain lake. 




To finish up the day we passed through some very open pine forests. We also saw some man made rock garden creations.





In the last hour of the day the rain started. It was supposed to rain all day, but instead it just started pouring at 6. We pushed through. 


We arrived very wet to camp just before 7. After some deliberation I decided to pitch my tent and sleep out in the rain instead of in the shelter. According to our trail guides, the shelter has a porcupine that’s gnawing on the wood and I don’t want to be woken up by that tonight. 


Tomorrow we will hike 19 miles and get a room at the Inn at Long Trail. We will dry out our gear and have real beds for the night.


Goodnight,

Walker 





If you want to follow Spencer, here is his log:

https://www.instagram.com/baxter.bound?utm_source=qr&igsh=MWx4MzRqa3M4dGk3Mw==

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 0 Good Beginnings

Day 8 Siler and Wayah

Day 1 The First of Many