Day 103 Moosilaukee

Today I hiked 21 miles and climbed the first summit in the White Mountains.


I slept incredibly well last night. The background noise of the river covered any of the small noises in the forest that would’ve woken me up. I fell asleep around 9:30 and slept soundly until 6 AM. I lounged half asleep until 630, when I finally started moving. I began hiking around 730.


For the first half of the day, I hike through very New Hampshire feeling woods. It’s simultaneously very odd and very familiar to be hiking here. The woods feel like home, but the hike up to this point has not felt like I’ve been near home. 




I crossed a couple roads, and had some views of the mountains through the trees. 




I stopped and ate lunch while soaking my feet after wading through a river crossing. The break was pleasant before beginning the very steep and long climb up Mount Moosilauke.





Right after lunch, I hit the 1800 mile mark! Just 400 more miles to go. It seems fitting that a mile marker in New Hampshire would be made out of white birch branches.



Moosilauke is one of the harder hikes in the Whites, with a very steep ascent and decent to hit the peak. I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect, as I’ve never hiked in the White Mountains with trail legs before. I was anticipating the climb to be difficult, but while I was ascending I didn’t find it to be as hard as I expected. 


Once I made it to the top, I took a quarter mile side trail to the southern peak of Moosilauke. I had the whole peak to myself, and savored my first view in the White Mountains. Moosilauke is a very popular hike, so it was a special treat to have one of the summits to myself.







After soaking in the southern peak, I hiked the next mile to the main summit. As expected, I did not have the main peak to myself. But the views were absolutely spectacular. 





The descent down Moosilauke was incredibly steep, so I went very slowly and carefully. The trail follows a long series of waterfalls and stream flowing through cut out stone. The stream is called Beaver Brook. I was glad to do the descent on a dry day. I imagine the rock would’ve been very slippery well wet. 


I made it to camp at the base of Moosilauke before 5 PM. I hiked about 21 miles today, the first 10 of which were easy and the second 10 were about as hard as it gets on the AT. Even though the miles were challenging, it feels very well within my comfort zone. I expect some of the upcoming portions of the whites will be just as difficult, but I also know that we will be able to hike through them.


After making it to camp, I went to the stream and soaked myself in a small pool that was just barely deep enough for me to fit in. The water was very cold. I then went and changed into my dry, sleeping clothes and got into my sleeping bag.


The weather forecast continues to predict a long stretch of rain over the next week. Although I hope for good weather, the added challenge of rain will be very interesting as well.


Good night, 

Walker 





If you want to follow Spencer, here is his log:

https://www.instagram.com/baxter.bound?utm_source=qr&igsh=MWx4MzRqa3M4dGk3Mw==

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 0 Good Beginnings

Day 8 Siler and Wayah

Day 1 The First of Many