Day 114 Two Thousand Miles

Today we hiked 22.5 miles to make it out for a zero. 


I slept pretty well last night. The only problem was I woke up having tweaked my neck. I guess I just slept weird with my head turned. Otherwise I slept through the night pretty well. We started hiking by 8.


First thing in the morning we climbed Poplar Ridge, a wooded ridge with some small views. 



We then dropped way down off the ridge and had a river ford across Sluice Brook. Spencer managed to jump across rocks and stay dry. I decided to go a little up stream and wade across with my shoes off. Both options worked pretty well. Right after the river ford we saw a large waterfall on Oberton Stream. 



The woods feel very much like Maine, with mossy rocks, cedar trees, and white birch trees.



We had a relatively steep climb up to Lone Mountain, which is on the same ridge as Mt Abraham and Sugarloaf. The AT passes by Abraham and Sugarloaf, and walks in the wooded ridge instead. Oh well, I’ll come back to hike those at some other time. We had a couple decent views from the ridge. 




Just before climbing down from the Sugarloaf Ridge we passsd the 2,000 mile mark! This is certainly our biggest accomplishment yet. The original AT was just over 2,000 miles, but has progressively gotten longer as the years have gone on. 



To finish off the day we climbed up the Crocker Mountains. It wasn’t too steep or difficult on the way up. There were a couple nice overlooks.




South Crocker peak had a decent view after a short side trail. 




North Crocker had less of a view, but still quite nice. 




To end the day we descended for 5.5 miles. My neck had been bothering me all day and was quite sore for the last few miles. My right quad also started cramping. Let’s just say it was a relief to make it to the car and to be taking a zero tomorrow. Brooke’s mom Valerie picked us up from the trailhead, and we will spend the next two nights at her house with Brooke and Ashley! 


Goodnight,

Walker 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 0 Good Beginnings

Day 8 Siler and Wayah

Day 1 The First of Many